The Gigatus

gig_sizelinebreak

gigatus1

Gigatus (Gender Unknown)

The Gigatus are the largest animals living in Yabun Forest. They grow to a staggering 6.7 m in height and weigh about 7 tons. These animals are arthropods, characterized by their segmented exoskeleton and jointed limbs and they have been documented to live for 80 years or more. The breeding habits of the giant are unknown but it is believed that they are hermaphrodites and are opportunistic breeders as they meet one another rarely.

gigatus2

Gigatus Mouthparts

Gigatus move so slowly that it takes them years to cover only 10 miles of forest. They stand and wait, ever looking down at the ground, waiting for something to cross their path. Gigatus possess a pair of compound eyes that are sensitive to movement and can see in a clear 360˚ view. They wait for prey to enter into their reach and swiftly drop their long tentacles down to sting the victim. The Gigatus’ tentacles hold a vast array of poisonous barbs that will become lodged in the prey and inject a series of two toxins. First, a neurotoxin to paralyze the victim instantly, then a hemotoxin to help break down the tissue. Death is quick for prey, as all respiratory systems shut down almost instantly. The Gigatus is in no hurry to pick up its catch. Some will wait a full three days until it finally lowers its body down to pick up the rotting carcass with its smaller arms. By this time the prey is soft and almost entirely digested, and only its skin seems to hold it together. After slurping up the prey through its mouth, the Gigatus drops what’s left of its meal onto the forest floor and waits again.

This entry was posted in Fauna, Yabun Forest and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Gigatus

1. matias palma says:

una pregunta estos animales se desarrollan en la tierra, o otro planeta??’
    weno en todo caso es espoectacular lo que estas asiuendo

2. Lurker says:

I was just drawing about height and eye placement changing with perspective, it’s neat that you were thinking of the same thing.

3. I love the gigatus! The only problem is that I don’t see such a large carnivorous animal moving so slow, unless it’s an ambush predator.

Also, when are you going to put up the website?

• admin says:

Thanks! I’m glad you like the Gigatus. It is somewhat of an ambush predator as it waits for its prey to walk beneath it to go for the kill. It will most likely go through revisions though. The website should be up in early April – later than I had anticipated. We hit a few snags.

4. Mexanik says:

Epic creature %) but I think it needs several improvements (sorry for my strange English):

1) Classification: the word “Araneae” is already used for spiders, another class. I think, these creatures could be called “Titanisectiae” or “Memnarchidae” (yep, gigatus really looks like Memnarch from Mirrodin world, “Magic: the Gathering” %)). I think there also must be special subtype of arthropods (or even special type) because bugs from Earth could not evolve this way (they need too much oxygen, and gigatus with insect “lungs” can’t breath even if it does not move).

2) Inner anatomy: it can look like bug, but it must have absolutely another organs: something like lungs (I think of 6-7 pairs of these lungs along the body), much more complex nervous system, and normal blood or something that could transfer food to all its cells.

3) Outer anatomy: gigatus has biggest eyes of all living beings (giant squid’s eyes are 30-40 sm, and gigatus’- 1,5-2 meters, and much more complex). It could easily look at another galactics with such powerful vision! %)
    Also I don’t think that its legs are strong enough to stand its weight. Those zigzag limbs are not very good for that.

4) Behavior: it is too slow, and even smallest predator or flies would have enough time to completely destroy its killed victim. Also, the pile of bones under its body can easily unmask gigatus and fear his potential food, so it must walk from time to time over the forest (maybe half a mile after every 7-8 dinners). Most of forest animals don’t have good memory, so gigatus can always be masked.

5) Evolution: such a big creature must have very complex evolution line and lots of relatives. And all these creatures must have good ecological niches. That means all the big bugs must effectively compete with carnivorous mammals and other vertebrates. On Earth, mammals could not evolve into something bigger than a dog because of dinosaurs. So I think gigatus must be either “alien” from other completely isolated regions of Morae world or prehistoric monster that lives in these places before vertebrates appearance (but this way is not very good because giant creatures can survive only in stable ecosystems, and stable insect ecosystem can not afford any vertebrate).
    I have an idea that gigatus came from giant cave in mountains near the forest, and in this cave was that “stable insect ecosystem”. Because of lack of big predators in the forest, it could slowly migrate there. And its isolated cave could be opened after an earthquake %)

• Epic Comment! :) Thanks for taking the time to write a reply! Some excellent points too. Thank you for the information – All things I have been considering since the creation of the organism. The Gigatus was sort of an experiment – that went terribly wrong. ;) The creature itself is under construction as of now, thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. I’ve decided to revisit the organism in a more realistic light. I should be posting more organisms soon (I have a show coming up) and the gigatus-revisit will be part of it. Hopefully you can take a look and give some input. I am moving the Morae River to an island (which I mentioned in another post) so perhaps some gigantism might be more plausible among the invertebrates of Tul and The Morae River. Mammals and such could have showed up to the island later. Thanks again! I appreciate your time!

• Mexanik says:

That’s great I can be helpful =)

I also speculated gigatus’ possible evolution line (and another line into scorpion-like creature). Making realistic big arthropods is quite difficult, I used one of the possible ways in my project (planet of Wastorum, but it’s in Russian)- lung-like organ near the “belly” or “chest” that works like pump, but my creatures have different anatomy. I never saw a creature like gigatus before %)

• Wow! I love your sketch you’ve included! Awesome! The Gigatus still exists on the island but is substantially smaller this time around. I like the idea of having a “pump” within the belly of the organism too. I’m really wanting to push this project into more of an “unknown” realm in which some things are left unexplained. However, I look forward to your comments in the future about the new Gigatus! Thanks again!! :)

Also, I’d love to see your site anyway. I’d love to look through the images :)

• Mexanik says:

Thanks ^^
            I thought about meeting of two completely different ecosystems that were isolated from each other for hundreds millions of years- this way is good for explanation of insectoids evolution (the other one, flying thing- can’t remember its name- is very different from common flies) and for creating lots of unique animals (even for those who evolved at the border between ecosystems). And this could be nice plot for story of the Morae river %)

PS: I added link to my projest, to sketch posts %)

5. Ellen says:

Pretty weird and scarry creature here.

Memnarchidae, while a funny name idea, would have to be the family name. But Carnea could easily be the order name.

Aside from being smaller, I think the revised gigatus should have more graviportal legs. The leg segments can be shorter and thicker, and the leg itself strait or nearly so, instead of bent. This animal needs strong legs to hold up its weight, but it is not using those legs to run or jump or climb so they need not be nimble or slender.

6. Charanty says:

Great concept.
    But i’d like to know, are you sure about it’s height in meters? Because text says 6,7 meters high but picture with human looks more like if Gigatus is around 16,7 meters high.

• Hi Charanty, Ah, it must have been a typo. The size of the organism in true to what the little size image shows. I will correct it later. Thanks for the heads up! :)