The Balandic Cula

cula_sizelinebreak

cula1

Female Balandic Cula

One of the more notable mammalian creatures in the Balandic Mountain region is the Balandic Cula, a small scavenger that can be found scurrying around the slopes of the mountains and just above the tree line. The Balandic Cula is the smaller of its larger cousin the Morae Cula  |Môr-rā koõ-lah|. Culas are known to live near freshwater and can be very vicious animals. They do not live in packs but every so often young males will pair off to travel and hunt together. Inevitably, groups will form around kills and fighting will almost always ensue. The Balandic Cula mainly feeds on carrion.  They follow herds of Mountain Uru waiting for the sick to finally die and will even eat each other if food is scarce. They also hunt very small game including The Banded Terrinsc. They have even been noted eating eggs, grasses, fruits, berries, and fish.

cula2

Male Balandic Cula

Balandic Culas have very deep chests that host a large set of lungs for running about the Mountain slopes where the air is thin. Their nostril is also large and is not divided by a septum (it is hollow from side to side). It is believed this allows more air to pass through the nostril to supply more oxygen to the body because of their hyperactive lifestyle. Another theory is that when picking though rotting flesh it allows meat and debris to slide through it rather than getting stuck, causing infection.

cula3

Male Balandic Cula Fight

This species of Cula is believed to have migrated up to these mountains about 950,000 years ago. Because of their rapid rate of reproduction, (females can have up to four litters a year) they have quickly adapted to the cold climate by growing thicker coats than their southern cousins.

This entry was posted in Fauna, The Balandic Mountains and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Balandic Cula

1. mordicai says:

I like the effect that it gives them of seeming like they have four eyes– creepy, but without being even a teensy bit implausible.

2. j.w. bjerk says:

Cool looking creature. Top-notch artistry.

The explanation that the lack of septum help increase air-flow seems pretty implausible to me. I can’t imagine how that would help. Especially in a cold climate, having a huge opening (which looks like it can’t be shrunk), which leads directly to about where the brain should be, seems like a good way to damage it. Part of the function of septum, nasal hairs, and the convoluted air-ways is to warm up the air before it gets to the body core.

• admin says:

Thank you J.W.! I see your point and that does make sense. The Balandic Cula does have plenty of hair further inside the nostril and their nasal passages could be complicated. Although most of this writing is speculation and will more than likely change over the course of time as more is found about the animals and the world takes more shape. I appreciate your comment and will definitely refer to it in the future! :)

3. Jake Crouse says:

ur Work on del.icio.us today — liked it.. bookmarked it , will be back to check out some more later .. nice statements above ..

4. Tandy Marcy says:

This is certainly my initial stop by and I really like what I’m seeing. Your weblog is so much fun to look over, quite compelling as well as informative. I’ll undoubtedly recommend it to my friends. Nevertheless, I did have some problem with the commenting. It kept giving me an problem whenever I clicked on publish comment. I hope, that can be fixed. Many thanks

• admin says:

Thank you so much! I think you comment may have been marked as spam – explains why it took me forever to approve it. Very sorry about that, I hope it doesn’t happen again but sometimes my spam catcher messes up. :P

5. Pingback: Revisit – The Balandic Cula

6. Michelle says:

Is this animal real? i had never heard of it. please write back!

7. tyrone morris says:

what is the name of the planet itself? how big is the planet? how many moons/suns? how many continents does it have? i really like this art work